Tuesday, December 16, 2008

An inkling of snow...

As you know, we are living in Portland. We got 2 inches of snow on Sunday and the hills got about 5 inches. We got a call Sunday morning saying church was canceled because of snow. I looked outside and the roads were not even covered yet! Growing up in Iowa we needed white outs, blizzards, or 2 feet of snow to ever get cancellations! I was extremely surprised. Tyler informed me that it usually does not snow here and does not get this cold. Turns out they haven't received this much snow since 1996! So, why the first winter that we move here? I wish I had taken a picture of it... but you have all seen snow before. However, because of the lack of snow the whole city shuts down... literally. They do not salt or sand the roads, or even plow them. Most of the streets are complete sheets of ice. Tyler did not have school on Monday because of this snow and it's finals week! They are expecting another 6 inches tomorrow! I am not sure what will happen, but I just find it odd that people do not know how to react to snow! It's a natural thing.

2 comments:

acandiedapple said...

That is one of the greatest things about Portland. I definitely miss that. Here in Chicago they don't shut down for anything. If parents can't get their kids to school due to weather they can drop them off at any school. The midwest is so crazy.

R and M said...

Ha ha...I love Oregon! I always loved in high school that a half an inch of snow meant that school would be cancelled. Actually, JUST snow falling from the sky would cancel school, even if it didn't stick. I was even sent home from jury duty once because one of the lawyers didn't come in because of the snow.