Thursday, June 12, 2008

To hybrid, or not to hybrid... not such an easy question.

It seems that lately everyone has been turning to hybrids and subcompact cars to help with the cost of gas. That seems like the most logical thing to do in the face of $4/gal gas. It seems like a no brainer, right? Wrong! You have to look at all sides of it. Hybrids do save some people thousands of $$$ in gas every year vs. driving an SUV, but it's not the best solution for everyone. I was talking to my parents about a week ago about how they're handling the high gas prices. They seem rather indifferent towards the price even though my mom drives a Chevy Tahoe. I asked if she was going to trade it in for a smaller car. She says, "No way." The Tahoe is already paid off and a new car would just add another car payment. Besides, SUV's are very undervalued. So it's either pay $600/month for a new hybrid, or save $70/month on gas. I know toyotas are great and everything, but hybrids can't haul trailers. But what about the impact on the environment? SUV's pollute so much! While true, I don't think adding a hybrid to the streets is going to help. They don't exactly excrete roses out the tailpipe. If my parents sell their SUV, someone else will be driving the polluting hog. So, while you may brag about your 35 mpg hybrid, just look at your monthly car payment and that should bring you back to reality.

Disclaimer: I don't drive an SUV. My little 4 banger gets about 33 mpg on the freeway. Almost as good as a hybrid :) This is the article that got me thinking about this topic. My favorite quote is, "...She gets tired of the glares she gets from hybrid owners."

http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/wayoflife/06/12/suv.irpt/index.html

No comments: